It was my birthday yesterday and I thought just to round off my 19 years, I’d write about 20 things I’ve learnt before being 20! And that’ll be the last I mention my birthday I swear.
1. Life goes on – things keep moving whether you want them to or not and more often than not it’s best to let yourself have a moment and move along with it (and more often than not, it’s easier said than done).
2. Don’t pretend to like stuff for others – music, make-up, clothes – you’re your own person and not liking something doesn’t have to be personal.
3. Don’t blame yourself for everything – while it’s so easy to think everything your fault, nobody’s perfect and beating yourself up isn’t going to change anything.
5. Savour those who make you feel loved – because people who put as much effort into a friendship as they get out are truly valuable people.
6. Don’t leave assignments to the last minute – just, do your homework. Seriously.
7. Sometimes, jam on toast is the answer – particularly at 2am.
8. If you don’t like something, you’re the only one who can change it – bad people in your life? Get rid of them. Bad habits? Change them. Only you can make your happiness.
9. Blogging is something I can do forever – it’s not a life lesson but genuinely, someone find me a job where I blog all day every day because I would love it.
10. I’m actually way more indie hipster than I realise and I don’t care – I actually quite like it.
11. Growing up is terrifying.
12. Travelling is the only thing I know I want to do – the list of places I want to go is longer than the list of actually concrete ideas for my career.
13. Wishing you could do something is useless, go learn to do it – you won’t be good at it straight away, but you’ll be better than if you didn’t try.
14. Music shows a piece of the soul – and it’s so expressive.
15. Art is everywhere and everyone has the capacity to be creative – but no one shows it in the same way.
16. Cooking is such a valuable skill – and it’s so much fun too.
17. Learn and embrace culture – because being narrow minded and blindly patriotic for your whole life is boring if nothing else.
18. Study and learn forever – just to keep growing as a person.
19. Always make things – for me it’s blogging and writing, for others it can be anything but staying active and making things is so satisfying.
20. Your 20s are the best years of your life – they can’t be any worse than being a teenager.
Happy Birthday me?
Thank you for reading,
Uni blog: http://sophieannblogs.blogspot.co.uk/